Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Legacy

Most of what I inherited of my mother's mother is china; beautiful bone china teacups and saucers with matching dessert plates in random patterns. They're beautiful and I love them but they're not the topic of today's post (maybe another day, though).

I also have the small but treasured collection of notions and needlework-related items that you can see here.

I never knew my grandmother, Grace, to sew, although having been born in 1906 and raising four children during the depression years, she must have had at least a passing acquaintance with the business end of a needle. She did do some lovely hand embroidered pillowcases in her later years, which, after her death, I finished off with some crocheted edgings for my mother. She bought me my first sewing machine, an inexpensive Singer, as a high school graduation gift and I sewed with that machine for about ten years until it was replaced by a Kenmore SensorSew (the immediate predecessor of my Ellegante).

I know for certain that she never crocheted and the excellent selection of steel crochet hooks were her mother's. My great-grandmother, Amelia, taught me to crochet when I was five and produced an amazing number of doilies, tablecloths and bedspreads, some of which I'm privileged to own and which are in amazingly good condition.

A point of interest...notice the brand name on the pinking shears!





And a little something to make you long for the good old days...check out the prices on the needles!

3 comments:

Meg said...

People sell this stuff at the chi-chi flea markets here in the city all the time. But I'd want to hang on to this if it were mine. Enjoy your weekend!

Bunny said...

What a lovely treasure. I bet that darning egg fixed a sock or two!

Rhoto said...

Hi Paula!!
I just TAGGED you on RHOTO'S RAG. It's a questionnaire to get to know each other better, eh.
Hope you enjoy participating!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda