Here's what all the fuss is about. This is the method I drafted to attach my daughter's purse to the purchased handles. Each attachment unit consists of five pieces: two fabric pieces; two lining pieces; and one interfacing piece. There are eight attachment units for a total of 40 pieces to attach the bag to the handles. Because accuracy is so important on this part of the bag, I cut each piece individually. This was mandatory for the brocade; there's no way I could have cut two layers without slipping on these small pieces. But even on the cotton lining, I wanted to make sure the cutting was spot on.
I'm glad I had the foresight (for a change!) to cut the pieces extra long. The raw edges of the brocade melt away as you turn the assembled units right side out. I tried overcasting the raw edges, but that caused them to disappear as well.
After the second set of four units is assembled and turned right side out, I'll hand baste the finished edges, then edgestitch. I'm doing quite a bit of hand basting on this project. Unfortunately, my thimble doesn't fit the way it used to and the ones available at Joann are "not the best" quality. Mine keeps falling off and last night I ran the eye end of my needle into my middle finger. Ouch!
But never fear, it's Elaine to the rescue! She recently acquired some vintage thimbles at auction and offered to send me one that fits. Thanks, Elaine!