Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Junco Palace

I said yesterday that if the weather cooperated, I would get pictures of the junco nest up under our eaves posted. For once, the weather did cooperate!

Those little birds have worked their tails off building this nest and it is driving my husband crazy. Juncos are small birds and the nest has gotten "quite" large. He wants to know why they think they need a palace, hence the title of this post. I'm not sure if it's complete; I don't think it grew any larger today, but I'm not sure. For reference, the beam on which the nest is built is 2 x 12 dimensional lumber.

Without any further ado, here are the pix.

A close-up. This is as close as I could get with the zoom on my relatively inexpensive and ancient digital camera.


Zoomed out a tad so you can see how far down it trails. It's a little longer and fuller on this side than the other.


Finally, I zoomed out all the way so you could see how the nest looks as you approach the house. You can see where some construction debris has fallen and caught on the window frames.


The nest was empty when I took the photos. The nest is so tall now that I'm not even sure how the birds will get in and out; I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos, but it very nearly touches the soffit.

I did not get any sewing in today at all but I am still thinking about it. I may try an experiment; I will post about that tomorrow.

2 comments:

Debbie Cook said...

What I want to know is how in the world did the Juncos get the nest to stay in place? That's some powerful sticky-stuff going on. It will be fun for you to watch/hear baby Juncos arrive.

Paula Gardner said...

I have no idea! Now that it's there, I can see that the stuff hanging down the sides balances it and helps keep it in place but unfortunately we weren't paying attention when they first started. I'll have to look on the ground below. I expect there's a lot of construction debris down there.