Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Counting Down

The day after tomorrow will be the first day of my 30/30 experiment to see how much sewing can actually be accomplished in 30 minutes a day. I've allowed myself a free day each weekend, where I can sew as much as time allows in order to make sure I can complete the muslin for my daughter's bridesmaid's dress in a timely manner, but I'm going to try not to use it. I really want to see what can be done in just the 30 minutes.

I already get up at 5:00 a.m. every day. I'm going to continue to do that, but rather than start work right away, I'll take the first half hour of my day as my sewing time. That way I can be sure that nothing/no one will interfere with it.

To keep me accountable, I'll be posting here on my blog each day on what I've accomplished and whether or not I stuck to my 30 minute plan. I'll spend some time tomorrow tidying up my sewing area, making sure my fabrics are ready, etc., so that come Thursday morning, nothing stands in my way.

On an entirely unrelated topic, my 16 year old daughter went on her first "date" this evening. In keeping with her nerdy studious persona, they're off to a Spanish Club event at school. This is big for us; our style tends to be "parenting by suffocating over-protection." But hey! I've only texted her once so far! Yea, me!

5 comments:

Christina said...

"parenting by suffocating over-protection" - LOL!

I'm looking forward to seeing how your 30/30 plan goes. I think about sewing all the time, but I actually do it only a few days a week.

Sue said...

If I could keep 'thinking about sewing' to 30 mins a day it would help my time management skill a lot - what I really need to do is to sew more and think about it less - that would be a good start!

Meg said...

Ditto what Christina said about actually doing it a few days a week. But I am forcing myself to get my summer sewing done pronto so I can start making a coat.

Marji said...

I'm confused now...does this mean you're going to limit yourself to sewing only 30 minutes a day? or try to get in at least 30 minutes?

What my goal is going to be, soon as I can get my tush up and at it, is to limit myself to 30 minutes online every day. I'd get so much more done!

Ah, the beginning of dating - what a fun time. Soon you'll be making prom dresses and homecoming dresses.

Bunny said...

Isn't that the only way to parent? Oh,how I remember those days. My personal favorite is the guy who came to the door with a penis wearing a condom printed on the front of his t-shirt with the saying "I practice safe sex." I am not kidding. We are still talking about that one. I hope you have it a little more smoothly.

I am looking forward to following your 30/30 plan. I think Marji is so right. This keyboard can surely prevent some serious sewing from happening. I find at night is when I make sewing mistakes so thats when I have my computer time. Thats what works for me. Good luck with your program and keep us posted often.