Sunday, May 4, 2008

A Lazy Sunday

After spending nearly all day yesterday in my (so-called) sewing room, I took kind of a lazy day off today. I did get in a sewing related activity, though. After shopping for a dress with my oldest daughter, we hit Joann to pick up a pattern for a dress that I'm going to make for her to wear in her brother-in-law's wedding. It's Butterick 4915, which you can see to the right.

Her measurements call for a size 8 in the bust and waist, and a 10 at the hip. Since the dress is so full below the waist, I'm thinking I can disregard that measurement entirely.

One thing I'm not sure about, though, is the fabric. The pattern envelope lists Matte Jersey, Lightweight Crepe, Soft Faille and Stretch Velvet. So some of those are knits and some are wovens, right? We're thinking about crepe-backed satin for the real dress, using a combination of the shiny and matte sides.

We did pick up some inexpensive cotton to use as a muslin, but I'm not anticipating any real fitting issues, other than she is quite short and a little broad across the back. It seems like this style should be easy to fit, but maybe this is a case where ignorance is bliss.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I like that pattern. It looks pretty straight forward and fast. I'm not sure I would use a jersey. Don't those tend to be pretty thin? There are probably weights but the ones I have are pretty thin and that full skirt would be too much weight for the top. I think the satin would be beautiful. Although, knits are more forgiving for fitting.

Bunny said...

Your fabric choice should work beautifully, JMHO. Are you thinking of the contrasting side for the waist area? If she is tiny there that could be a nice use of the shiny side. Looks like a lovely dress for the wedding. Lined?

Paula Gardner said...

The bodice is self lined and I'll probably line the skirt so that a slip will be optional. She's tiny all over...32-24-34 and about 5'1-1/2" tall. She's the one who suggested using both sides, so I'm not sure what she had in mind. Probably shiny side for the midriff. The wedding is pretty informal so all shiny would probably be too "fancy." The girls are choosing their own dresses but all will be lavender. The practice fabric is too funny; black with a cherry print. If it looks like it's going to be wearable, I'll probably add red piping, it will be cute!

Muffin Recipes said...

Great blog yoou have here