Thursday, May 15, 2008

30/30 - Day 1

Marji asked the excellent question, "...does this mean you're going to limit yourself to sewing only 30 minutes a day? or try to get in at least 30 minutes?" The answer is...both! The point of my 30/30 Project is to force me to use a 30 minute block of time for sewing and to stop when the 30 minutes is up.

My sewing mindset is to wait until I have a huge block of time for sewing, then sew until I drop. The problem is that huge blocks of time are hard to come by in my life and so days (weeks!) could pass with no sewing getting done at all.

At the other end of the spectrum, when I finally realized that maybe I could utilize smaller blocks of time for sewing, I had a hard time disciplining myself to put it away and move on to other tasks.

And I guess I'm taking it to the extreme of limiting myself to 30 minutes even if more time is available simply for the sake of idle curiosity. Nancy Zieman's 10, 20, 30 minutes To Sew patterns got me to wondering how much sewing could actually be accomplished in 30 minutes a day by a slow sewist such as myself.

So there you have it and it's probably more than you wanted to know about the motivation behind my 30/30 Project.

Which started this morning at 5:15 a.m. Here's what I managed to accomplish, most of the purse pattern for my DD's Asian brocade purse. What is immediately apparent is that you must focus like a laser beam if you want to get anything done. No time for wool gathering. I believe this is going to be interesting.

6 comments:

heidi lynn cooper said...

Sounds like a great idea! I need to try it :-) BTW, thanks for stopping by SewExotic; it is nice to know someone is reading, lol.
heidi

Unknown said...

This is going to be an interesting experiment. I predict you'll become a more efficient seamstress for it. If you aren't allowing yourself to sew past 30 minutes, then the only way you can "gain" time is by using what you've limited yourself to more efficiently. Same principle as when you're on a very low calorie diet. You become much more picky about what you spend your precious calories on!

Charity

Marji said...

I'm interested to see how you do too.
And, if you have the hours in a day, I wonder if you won't decide to give yourself some wider parameters. Say, minimum 30/maximum 90. By the time I'm into it for 30 minutes I'm just getting on a roll. I'd be hard pressed to accomplish much, aside from small projects and quick knits, if I tried to limit it like that.
But thank you for answering the question.

I tried to work 4 hours the other day downstairs, and paid dearly in terms of pain - I'm still in healing - and so yesterday I worked in 45 minute increments, breaking it up with seated sessions on the phone or at the computer.

Rhoto said...

Hi Paula!
I'm not "catching" the 30/30 part... You want to time your sewing & stop @ 30 mins., right?
What does the "other" 30 mean?
Rhonda, who NEVER "catches" it!!

When Ladies Dressed said...

What a great idea! It's so easy sometimes for other things to get in the way. At least by doing 30 min, you'll have a sense of accomplishment!

Paula Gardner said...

Rhonda, the second 30 is for 30 days.