Monday, April 28, 2008

More Burda

I did my initial tracing of my Burda World of Fashion (BWOF) pattern on Saturday evening, but waited until today to add the seam allowances and cut the pattern out. Tracing the pattern is quite an experience. There are lines running all over the pattern sheet. For anyone tracing their first Burda pattern, I recommend using a very, very sheer pattern material so that the color coding is clearly visible.

Since BWOF patterns don't include seam allowances, you have to add them yourself. I remembered a trick I read about on PatternReview and fabricated a high tech seam allowance tool. I think it will go down in the High Tech Hall of Fame right along side my high tech tube turner.

And here are my pattern pieces. I still have to cut the ruffles, casings and drawstrings, but there are no actual pattern pieces for those; you're simply given the required dimensions and you cut them accordingly. I'll be cutting these pieces and the ruffles from a white linen/rayon blend tonight. The casings and drawstrings are cut from contrast fabric, which are as yet unpurchased.

10 comments:

Dawn said...

Having fun yet?? I always feel like a hunter ready to wrestle a lion to the ground when I'm working on a Burda pattern. That pattern better fear me. I think it is just the stubborn person in me.

Paula Gardner said...

I'm sure it's trembling at the very sound of my name!

AllisonC said...

Good luck, you can do it. Your high tech tool is more high tech than mine - eyes and scissors, not for the fainthearted or perfectionists out there!

Paula Gardner said...

Great merciful heavens! It give me heart palpitations just thinking about eyeballing it!

Birgitte said...

Your tool looks great! I cheat; I baste around the traced seam lines with machine, the foot is exactly 3/8" from needle position to edge, and then cut on the basting line. Eyeballing works quite well too by now since I only use 3/8" everywhere.

Meg said...

Feeling very left out here being one of the few BWOF virgins in the world, but I'm enjoying reading about your progress.

When Ladies Dressed said...

It's looking good Paula! I'm really impressed! You're going to be a pro at this in no time! - Kellie

Faye Lewis said...

Best wishes on your Burda quest. I'm half way with mine. Think I left off a few of the placement lines when I traced - well live and learn. I love your double pencil instrument and will try it when I trace my second Burda. I also like your tube turner invention.

Kat said...

Oh...looking at that Burda map! I get dizzy from the photo LOL. I have yet to make something from the Burda mag Yvonne sent me from Australia a year ago. Then I bought an HP pattern about 2 or 3 weeks ago and am going to try that first. Someday I'll get to that Burda, so I'm watching you as you work through yours.

Paula Gardner said...

Kat, it's unfortunate for you that you don't have a handy 5 year old so that you can start with one of the children's patterns.