I started sewing the BWOF pants this evening and, Hey! So far, so good!
The instructions are equally incomplete, confusing and liberating. For these little pants, incomplete and confusing aren't an issue. What's surprising is how liberating they are. I can pretty much do whatever I want, whenever I want.
For example, I am entirely free to select my preferred seam finish. Ssssh! Don't tell Charity that I didn't use my serger. I stitched the seams on my Ellegante, then used an overcast stitch and trimmed the seam allowances.
One thing I'm not really clear on is how to transition from an overcast seam allowance to a seam allowance that, for whatever reason, needs to be pressed open. The transition always looks messy to me. These little pants have a drawstring above the ruffle on each leg, so the instructions were to stitch the side seam, leaving an opening for the drawstring. This is how I finished it off inside; I'm fairly happy with this.
One thing I'm super happy with is how well I lined up the horizontal seamlines when I stitched the side seams.
Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the ruffles hemmed - each ruffle is 42 inches long so it looks like another outing with my narrow hem foot.