Monday, March 24, 2008

Mini-Wardrobe: Part One - The Tops

I'm starting to plan the patterns and fabrics I'll be using to construct my entry for the PatternReview Mini-Wardrobe contest. Since my current wardrobe consists almost entirely of jeans and t-shirts, I'm going to use the contest to add some nicer pieces.

The first definite piece is Butterick 4991, View A (Vest). I'll be making this out of silver foiled, black linen. This is the same linen I posted about a couple of weeks ago. I chose this pattern because (a) I wanted a cropped jacket or vest and (b) I felt like a boxy shape wouldn't be the most flattering for me. My shape has gotten pretty rectangular as I've gotten older and I felt like the tapered silhouette of this vest would add some shape. If it turns out well, I may make try grafting a different collar onto the jacket. I will probably just wear the vest over a cami or a short sleeved tee.

Next on my list is McCall 2818. (Wow, that picture is really tiny; sorry!) I'll be making view D, the split neck shell. This is a Palmer/Pletsch pattern. I'm eager to try it out and see how the instructions are. As a bonus, I can learn how to fit a full bust! That will be useful information if I ever get a full bust! I'm not sure on the fabric for this yet. I did see a nice red rayon challis an Hancock the other day; I may go back for that.

Mini-Wardrobe: Part Two - The Bottoms will be coming in the next day or two.

2 comments:

Bunny said...

That linen is scrumptious and should be a fabulous addition to the wardrobe. Thanks for adding me to your blog roll and for visiting mine. I will be following your plan closely. This is something I REALLY need to do but right now lots of "life influences" just seem to be interfering.

Paula Gardner said...

As I said before, I lusted after than linen from the moment I first laid eyes on it. It's pretty trendy so I can't count on anything I make out of it lasting for seasons and seasons, but I must have it anyway. I also have some white with silver foil, destined to be a blazer type jacket.