Sunday, August 1, 2021

New Look 6575

 Back in January and February, I undertook some "future sewing." By future sewing, I mean I was sewing clothes that would fit after an anticipated weight loss. It was risky but no risk, no reward, right?

One of the first tops I made was New Look 6575 View B, a top designed for woven fabrics with cut-on sleeves and an extremely deep vee neckline. Deep like it should always be worn over a cami, despite the styling on the pattern envelope. I felt like this would be a good choice for future sewing because the design minimized the need for some of the adjustments I regularly make. For example, narrow shoulders and sway back. I also skipped my usual forward shoulder adjustment because I couldn't figure out how to make it at the time (although after thinking about it for several months, I can now see how it would be accomplished).

I chose Kaufman Wishwell Lawn Packed Floral in the Day colorway, an exclusive at Fabric.com. I'm not big fan of prints in general, and especially florals, but this beautiful print really spoke to me. I know that everyone is all gaga over Liberty Tana Lawn, but in a side-by-side comparison, I can't see or feel an appreciable difference. 

So the story of sewing this top is very short. I didn't even bother to trace off the pattern in my size; I cut right into the tissue. I'm not sure if that was confidence that I would, indeed, lose the weight I intended to use or madness. In either event, that's what I did.

Sewing the top was very straightforward. The pattern instructions are good. There is, however, one issue with an orphan notch, that is, a notch on the front bodice side seam without a corresponding notch on the back. 

There was a moment of panic when I tried it on for the first time. Even taking into consideration that I had made it as something to wear in the future, it seemed as though it might be too small even then. You can see in the envelope photo that the top is supposed to be gathered around the raised waist seam; on me, it fit, but with no gathers. I had my doubts about it ever fitting.

Regardless, I forged ahead and, in another moment of madness, decided that the beautiful lawn fabric deserved a hand rolled hem. So that's what I did. It was a lot of hand hemming, accomplished over the course of a couple of days, but I love the result that I got.

And, fortunately, 30 pounds later, it fits quite well, with gathers at the waist seam. Phew! So I made another one. This time, using the bodice from View B once again, but with the handkerchief hem of View C. And no hand rolled hem.


I made Size Small. For your reference, here are my measurements and the pattern measurements. Keep in mind that waist size is fairly irrelevant on this design and also that I am quite small around the rib cage (32" to be exact, where the waist seam falls) in relation to my actual waist. I'm also not a fan of a lot of extra ease. YMMV.

Bust: 36.5
Waist: 31.5
Hips: 38.5







Thanks for reading!

Paula

Gallery

Finished garment displayed on a hanger, which, of course, doesn't show it off to its best advantage. More photos coming soon.




2 comments: